American Ace Activities
One woman, Dr. Mary Walker, has received the Medal of Honor. Dr. Walker received the Medal while assigned as an Assistant Surgeon during the Civil War. Her Medal was rescinded in 1916 when the Army purged its files to cut down on what it considered "unwarranted" issues. It was re-instated in 1976.
1. Do some research on Dr. Mary Walker. Then, write a news article as if you were a reporter during the Civil War.
2. Write a few paragraphs stating your opinions about why more women havent received the Medal of Honor. As much as possible, back up your opinions with facts.
3. Write a research paper on another winner of the Medal of Honor. You may want to chose one of the 150 Medal recipients who are still living.
Many small islands and far-off places in the South Pacific are part of our history. What was significant about:
Why was the capture of Guadalcanal important to the U.S. war effort?
How are these words defined when used in relationship with war? Are there other meanings?
Make a Map
Make a map showing the Pacific Theater of War and the sites of famous battles.
Because of his many accomplishments - often in challenging situations - Joe Foss is considered a role model for young people.
1. Should Joe Foss be considered a role model for youth today? Why or why not?
2. What characteristics, traits and personal strengths make Joe Foss a role model?
3. What other role models do young people emulate today? How is Joe Foss similar or different from these other role models?
1. Joe Foss was inspired by pioneer aviator Clyde Ice. What were this pilots accomplishments.
2. What were Joe Foss major accomplishments as Governor?